Friday, October 6, 2017

Change Log: 2.33.712

Dragon People:
work in progress.
Release 2.33.712 is focused mostly on back-end (i.e. API) enhancements and contains no user-facing application improvements.

Rather, the scope of this release is limited to a handful of updates for the API's admin panel, including some new methods for API performance monitoring (with is equally important for both The Watcher and the legacy webapp).

There are also a few legacy webapp bug fixes for yesterday's release, but nothing major.

(At this point, I think I have had some kind of communication with everyone who was affected by yesterday's deployment, but in case I missed anyone, thank you for your patience!)

And thanks for using the Manager!

Corrections and Fixes



  1. Added a Settlement bug_fixes() operation for settlements with no 'expansions' attribute in their MDB asset (e.g. hardcore, way-old legacy data).
  2. Monkey-patched an issue caused in the last release that broke the Survivor Sheet attribute controller. -WayForger
  3. Corrected the log_event() line for the Settlement object's set_location_level() method, which incorrectly logged the event_type as 'set_innovation_level'.

API Development


  1. The /user/dashboard/<oid> route is more resilient now and does some try/except stuff to detect when settlement serialization fails: since we're not calling normalize() when we serialize these settlements, there's a major opportunity for shenanigans that we need to at least log.
  2. The world.py CLI flag "-l" now dumps world asset OIDs
  3. The /world route has been expanded to include an api_response_times element:
    1. Added a new aggregate/group query to world.py
    2. Added an asset to assets/world.py 
    3. Added a table of response times to the admin panel (in the main block, for now)
    4. Added support for --reset_api_response_times flag to admin.py (which basically just drops that collection).
  4. Created a new method in panel.py for retrieving recent settlement data. I named it get_settlement_data(), which is a pretty clever name, I think.
  5. Added an admin panel for viewing recently updated settlements, including their event logs (which are pleasantly color-coded on the panel: I should do that in the legacy webapp at some point).
  6. Settlement serialization now has the ability to include an event log (if you want that beef).
  7. Added 'event_type' values to a number of survivor events, including birth, death, etc.
  8. Moved the user agent popularity contest onto its own Admin Panel div

2 comments:

  1. Hey Tim

    A few comments, we started to use the manager more actively. The biggest improvement possibility I see now is to list available endeavors on the campaign summary not only from locations (as it is today), but also from following sources
    - Innovations
    - Character abilities (matchmaking, for instance)
    - Lingering effects from Settlement Events e.g. Open Maw

    -Also, we shared characters between many players, and two friends complaining that that the settlement is not syncimg for them with any browsers and even after cleaning cookies/cache. I can get screen if necessary. They are all admins, I do not know if that effects the issue.

    - One other minor issue, that in the Sunstalker campaign (bodaster@gmail.com / Csikidam settlement) the sacred pool bonuses are not given to newborn at birth, when creating multiple survivors. Haven't checked now with single survivor creation and I do not know if such feature exists.

    - I did not find any ways to fill in intimacy partnerships.

    - Also, some sort of speed improvement would be huge.

    - Overall, very good stuff, hope you don't mind suggestions. Also, if you need a helping hand, I can try to help with programming, although I am pretty dummy to Python at the moment, I have experience with other programming langugages. Most likely I wouldn't be much of a help first, but who know if could be useful a bit later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey!

      Thanks for taking the time to write this up! This is really good stuff!

      Here are some in-line responses:

      > A few comments, we started to use the manager more actively. The biggest
      > improvement possibility I see now is to list available endeavors on the
      > campaign summary not only from locations (as it is today), but also from
      > following sources
      > - Innovations
      > - Character abilities (matchmaking, for instance)
      > - Lingering effects from Settlement Events e.g. Open Maw

      This is a really good idea. I never thought about doing this before, but I am going to develop a new feature around this.

      I opened a ticket for it: https://github.com/toconnell/kdm-manager/issues/298

      (I don't know when I'll get it done, but I'm excited to get going on it, so maybe this month or November?)

      > -Also, we shared characters between many players, and two friends complaining
      > that
      > that the settlement is not syncimg for them with any browsers and even
      > after
      > cleaning cookies/cache. I can get screen if necessary. They are all admins,
      > I do not know if that effects the issue.

      Could you actually get some screen captures on this? I think I know what you mean, but it would help me understand it better if I knew exactly what was going on .

      > - One other minor issue, that in the Sunstalker campaign (bodaster@gmail.com
      > / Csikidam settlement) the sacred pool bonuses are not given to newborn
      > at birth, when creating multiple survivors. Haven't checked now with single
      > survivor creation and I do not know if such feature exists.

      Yeah, that's a bug. I'll check it out: it should happen automatically. I opened a ticket: https://github.com/toconnell/kdm-manager/issues/299

      > - I did not find any ways to fill in intimacy partnerships.

      That's currently not possible, but it would be fairly trivial to add it to the Sheet. I opened a ticket: https://github.com/toconnell/kdm-manager/issues/300

      > - Also, some sort of speed improvement would be huge.

      I have been working on this for a while (I first got serious about it back in December: http://kdm-manager.blogspot.com/2016/12/change-log-1521194-21479.html) and...yeah, it's a problem.

      The good news is that a.) the next release will speed up the Survivor Sheet operations a bit and b.) the next release after that will start to work on the Campaign Summary (which is a massive pig: it's average render time is over 10 seconds! It's crazy).

      At any rate, bear with me on this one: I'm working on it.


      Finally, let me say again that the suggestions are hugely appreciated! Please pass along any feedback you have or issues you spot. This is really good stuff!

      And thanks for using the Manager!

      Delete